Did you know that the average American moves more than a dozen times in their lifetime? With that in mind, how many more moves might there be in your future?
No matter what that number may be, considering that moving is listed as one of the TOP THREE most stressful times in life, may I offer these suggestions for limiting and even eliminating some of the stress along the way:
1. Pack a “Day One” Bag
Include a set of clean clothes from the inside out for everyone; toothbrushes, toothpaste and any personal “must have” items.
Even include the following for a stress free first day and night in the new place:
- Paper cups, napkins, plates and plastic silverware along with one good knife (perhaps a paring knife – it’s small but sharp!)
- Roll of toilet paper – this is most often forgotten but always essential!
- Roll of paper towels – good for cleaning up, mopping up or washing up!
- Charger wires for our phones and electronics!
- Food & dishes for the pets along with leashes (and pet crate if you’ve been using one)
2. Pack Healthy, Non Refrigerated Snacks
Just in case you have trouble locating the box with food or utensils, it will be useful to have fast but healthy choices close at hand
- Skip the sugary snacks, they’ll just give you sugar crash just when you need the most energy. Go for healthy munchables like power bars, apples and dried fruit trail mixes. These will give you energy and quench the hunger pangs.
- Make sure bottled water is on hand; even at room temperature it will slack your thirst. (if you prefer flavored drinks over plain water, grab a box of individual drink mix powder)
- Dry flavorful cereal is always a favorite.
3. Set Up Sitters in advance
For younger children and for the pets…
- It will be worth a few dollars NOT to worry about Fido disappearing in an unfamiliar neighborhood.
- Younger children will be much happier at a place where they can run and play and meet other children. Your reduced stress levels will make you happier and the move may prove less stressful for all involved.
Having the most successful first night in a new home sets a wonderfully warm tone for your new life adventure. Reducing as much stress as possible goes a long way toward supporting the creation of just such a calm and inviting tone.